Sunday, December 7, 2008
Inner city youth
I was looking into teaching for America or maybe working for the inner city and frankly I am not interested at all. I feel a little guilty saying that because I am from D.C. and I believe that I have what it takes to take on the youth of gang violence, teenage pregnancy, and much more that come with inner city schools. But frankly I am not sure if I want to take all of that on when I know that I have opportunity to work in the suburbs somewhere. I dont want to give on the inner city youth because I know that there are those few kids out there that want to go to Ivy League schools and happen to live in the "wrong" part of town. I want to be that teacher that helps them succeed and push them to know they can. I also want to be that teacher that shows that kid that thinks he or she isnt worth anything, that they are! I know from personal experience that kids these days are a little difficult to be patient with and I am just intimidated by them. I know I would have a hard time not being weak while trying to keep an authorative realtionship with all my students. I wish them all the luck and I hope the statistics start going the other directions in our future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment